Heads up! We’re working hard to be accurate – but these are unusual times, so please always check before heading out.
We’ve been working on plans to open a Time Out Market in London Spitalfields at 106 Commercial Street - a food and cultural market bringing the best of the city under one roof. Everything would be handpicked, tested and tasted by people who spend all day tracking down the best and newest that London has to offer: the Time Out London editorial team.
Here’s what we plan for Time Out Market in Spitalfields:
- Eateries with food from some of the city’s best chefs and restaurateurs - curated by Time Out London editors
- Cultural experiences celebrating local talent and showcasing the work of local artists
- Families, friends, people working in the area and visitors would get to explore local culture and affordable fine dining from a diverse range of eateries and then come together and enjoy their meals at communal tables
- Our plan would bring the existing building back to use in a responsible manner, minimising potential impacts on the surrounding area and opening up previously private and inaccessible internal views to the public.
Planning Submission Update
We would like to thank all of the people who expressed interest in and provided feedback on the proposals for Time Out Market in Spitalfields throughout the consultation process. We have now submitted a planning application (PA/19/02404) to Tower Hamlets Council. The application documents may be viewed by visiting the Council’s planning portal (link here).
Planning Application Documents
The full planning documents can be found on the Tower Hamlets planning portal – a full list of the documents submitted is outlined below. If you have any questions or issues accessing this content, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
- Design and Access Statement (sets out the planning context for the development and sets out the detailed design proposals)
- Architectural Drawings (plans of the existing site and of the proposals)
- Time Out Market in Spitalfields Walkthrough (provides an overview of the proposals for the market, including proposed internal views)
- Schedule of Changes (outlines changes to the proposals compared to the previous application for the site)
- Statement of Community Involvement (details the community consultation undertaken prior to the application being submitted)
- Operational Management Statement (sets out Time Out Market’s proposals for the running of the market, details on opening hours, waste management, deliveries etc.)
- Transport Statement (details the transport context and sets out how the proposals for the market respond to this – this includes road traffic, the public transport network and pedestrian access to the site)
- Heritage Statement (details the history of the site and the heritage context and sets out how the proposals respond to this)
- Noise Assessment Report (assesses noise levels at the existing site, to determine its suitability for the proposed conversion)
- Noise Impact Assessment (assesses the impact of the proposed market on the surrounding area in terms of noise)
- Refuse Store Noise Assessment (focuses on the noise impact of the proposed on-site refuse store)
- Plant Noise Assessment (focuses on the noise impact of the proposed roof plant e.g. kitchen extract systems)
We hosted drop-in events on-site at 106 Commercial Street, allowing people another opportunity to view the materials, as well as engaging in further conversations with the project team about the proposals. These took place on the following dates:
Saturday 14 December – 10:30 am – 1:30 pm
Monday 16 December – 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm
We held public exhibitions on the proposals at 106 Commercial Street on Thursday 26 September and Saturday 28 September, sharing our plans for Time Out Market with the community and continuing conversations with people who live in, work in and visit the area. Attendees were invited to view exhibition boards displaying information about and images of the proposed Time Out Market at 106 Commercial Street, as well as to provide their feedback on the plans.
If you were unable to make it to the exhibitions, you can still view the boards and share your thoughts with us. Links to the exhibition boards and the survey can be found below:
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact us:
Tel: 020 3900 3676
For press enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Time Out Market
Time Out Market is part of Time Out, which started in London in 1968 and has helped people to explore and enjoy this city through its editorial curation ever since—today it curates the best things to do in 327 cities to help people go out better. In 2014, the editorial team behind Time Out Lisbon turned a historic market building into Time Out Market Lisbon, the world’s first food and cultural market based wholly on editorial curation. This successful culinary phenomenon is now coming to other great cities with new Time Out Markets having opened in Miami and New York in May 2019, followed by Boston in June 2019, and Montreal and Chicago in November 2019; Dubai is set to open in 2020, London-Waterloo in 2021 and Prague thereafter. What connects all Time Out Markets is a carefully curated mix of top culinary and cultural talent—however, the execution of each market is distinctly local to give a true taste of the city that it is in.