Falafill opening Loop location early next week
Thu Apr 19 2012
Photograph: Jamco Creative
Early next week—three years after openings its original location in Lakeview—[node:150185 link=Falafill;] will open its second location. This one is in the Loop (72 W Adams St), and a few changes are in store. Here are five things you should know:
1. Beginning in May, Falafill will feature desserts from [node:148685 link=HotChocolate;]'s Mindy Segal. No definite word on what these sweets will be, but apparently the flavors (of whatever it is) will likely be chocolate-caramel and pistachio-white chocolate.
2. Falafill is switching to "artisan-baked" pita, a "unique blend of white and wheat flour" (per the press release) made by an undisclosed local bakery.
3. In addition to the classic chickpea falafel, Falafill will now also feature a seasonal falafel (white bean and swiss chard is the launch variety) and a curry falafel (made from curried ground lentils). In addition, Falafill's "Guest Chefs for Charity" falafels—sandwiches designed by notable chefs, the proceeds of which go to a charity of the chef's choice—will be available at both stores. Next up to create his own take on falafel is Chris Pandel ([node:149239 link=The Bristol;], [node:15204356 link=Balena;]).
4. The self-serve "Toppings Bar"—and if you've been to the Lakeview location, you know that this is the most important part of the whole operation—is now called the "Mezza Bar" and has been reorganized into categories—Dips, Grains + Legumes, Salads, Pickles, and Sauces—to help guests avoid wrecking their falafels.
5. These shifts are part of Falafill's expansion plans. Following the opening of the Loop location, the Lakeview store will briefly close for a remodeling, and a third location is slated to open in Oak Park in May.
Falafill's new location is slated to open the week of April 23 in the Loop at 72 E. Adams St. Its hours will be Mon–Sat 11am–6pm and Sun 11am–4pm.