On his 66th birthday and after a decade of radio silence, David Bowie has released a new single. The singer, who shot to fame in the late 60s, transformed pop music forever and made being in your sixties sexy, held his last concert in 2006 and hasn’t been seen in public much since. However, it looks as though he’ll be making a come back this year not only with this welcome addition to our soundwaves but an exhibition dedicated to him, too. So, why do we love the glam-rock Space Oddity? It wasn’t just the music (though that was pretty spectacular); there were a few things that made him go from David Jones to eternal rock idol…
RECOMMENDED: Take a peek at costumes and more from "David Bowie Is"
1. He moved to the beat of his own drum
2. And he did it so well – look at that hair!
3. He made saying you’re gay acceptable in the 70s (even when you’re married and then marry again later in life)
4. And he out-cooled Mick Jagger
5. He can make even playing the recorder look epic
6. When he sang, he sang to you
7. And, let’s face it, he’s pretty sexy
8. He can make a mesh top look good, for god’s sake
9. And blue eyeshadow
10. And talking of eyes…
11. He made braces a little less necessary
12. He was the Goblin King
13. And defied gravity
14. He made being yourself completely acceptable
15. And he was full of surprises, like splitting up his band live on stage
16. But most of all his music, charm and charisma still wins us over 44 years on
So happy birthday Mr. Bowie, we can’t wait to see more of you next year.