Although highly visible, this cathedral-like former power station by the river is not that easy to get to. The best way is probably on foot, via the footbridge at Belém rail station. The Central Tejo, as it originally was, powered Lisbon for three decades from 1918, before being relegated to the status of a back-up powerplant. Its boilers and generators, many dating from the 1930s, were last used in 1972. The museum opened in 1990 and was given a revamp in 2005 to turn it into a real technology museum (a leaflet in English is available). Fans of industrial architecture will enjoy wandering among giant machines in this tall, red-brick building with arched windows, pilasters, pediments and cornices - a dramatic backdrop for the art and fashion shows often held here.
|Venue name:||Museu da Electricidade||Contact:|
Central Tejo - Av de Brasília
|Opening hours:||10am-6pm Tue-Sun|
|Transport:||Bus 15E, 714, 727, 728, 729, 751. Rail Belém|