Gillian Wearing and Claude Cahun: Behind the mask, another mask
- See the work of Claude Cahun and Gillian Wearing brought together for the first time at the National Portrait Gallery from April 17-May 29.
- Part of a season of displays and events exploring art, gender and identity, this will be a revealing look at two absorbing artists.
- With 2-for-1 tickets, you can see this one-of-a-kind exhibit for just £6 each.
As part of their ‘I am me’ season exploring art, gender, and identity, the National Portrait Gallery has brought together the work of French artists Claude Cahun and British contemporary artist Gillian Wearing for the first time. There are remarkable parallels that can be drawn between the two artists, particularly in their exploration of identity, despite being born decades apart.
Cahun herself identified as agender, and her work was filled with political and personal arguments that sought to undermine the traditional concept of gender roles.
Gillian Wearing is one of the Young British Artists, part of the art scene of the early ‘90s that included Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin. Her work has garnered critical acclaim, having won the Turner Prize in 1997 and been awarded an OBE. In 2007 she was elected as a lifetime member of the Royal Academy of Arts.
See the work of these two astounding artists, heavy in their use of masquerade, performance and gender, side-by-side for the first time, from April 17-May 29 at the National Portrait Gallery.
Need to know
- This voucher is valid for two tickets to 'Gillian Wearing and Claude Cahun: Behind the mask, another mask’ at the National Portrait Gallery.
- Voucher is valid from April 17 to May 29 2017.
- The gallery is open daily 10am-6pm, and stays open till 9pm on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Please present your printed voucher upon arrival.
- Please note that the voucher can only be redeemed in one trip and both participants must enter together.
- Voucher holders may be asked for proof of identification.
- This voucher cannot be cancelled, refunded or exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Image credits: Self-portrait (as a young girl) by Claude Cahun, 1914, Jersey Heritage Collections © Jersey Heritage. Rock 'n’ Roll 70 (wallpaper) (detail) by Gillian Wearing, 2015, Courtesy Maureen Paley, London; Regen Projects, Los Angeles; Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York © Gillian Wearing, courtesy Maureen Paley, London, Regen Projects, Los Angeles and Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York.
- Supported by Cockayne, The London Community Foundation.
- Spring Season 2017 sponsored by Herbert Smith Freehills.
- Exhibition organised in collaboration with Gillian Wearing.
- Time Out Black
Members of Time Out Black save an additional 10% on Time Out Offers
If you are already a member, please ensure you are signed into your account, using the email address registered to your membership and the discount will be automatically applied at check out.
In order for the discount to be applied, you must already hold a valid membership.
* Time Out reserves the right to exclude some offers from this promotion. Please check the terms of each offer prior to purchase.
- Members of Time Out Black save an additional 10% on Time Out Offers