New Video: Courtney Act's "Mean Gays"
The Australian songbird sends up West Hollywood—with a little help from her Drag Race friends—in her latest song and clip
Fri May 16 2014
On May 19, we'll find out if the very talented and frequently charming Aussie import Courtney Act (say it with a Crocodile Dundee accent) will be this season's winner of the popular TV contest RuPaul's Drag Race. While it's a closer competition than it has been in recent years, Ms. Act (née Shane Jenek) is probably the odd queen out among the final three—halfway through the season, the show started portraying her as a mildly undermining villainess, and mean girls don't tend to win.
Speaking of mean: This week, Courtney—who first came to fame as a finalist on Australian Idol—unveiled her latest single and video, "Mean Gays," which takes aim at the pretty boys in her adopted homeland of Los Angeles. The clip features all sides of the singer—including her Shane side—plus cameos from fellow Drag Race finalists Adore Delano and New York's own Bianca Del Rio (yay, sisterhood!).
Later this month, you can hear Act sing that song and other pop gems when she returns to NYC's Laurie Beechman Theatre with her show Boys Like Me.
Get in touch
- Meet 11 New Yorkers who break the millennial stereotype
- The most anticipated new albums of 2016
- The best pho restaurants in NYC
- A real-life NYC dominatrix dishes on doing your dirty work (NSFW)
- The best jazz clubs in NYC
- Star Wars’ John Boyega talks the role of a lifetime and petting the Wookiee
- The 11 best places to get New Year's Day brunch
- Quentin Tarantino chats it up about his new talky Western The Hateful Eight
- The 21 most romantic NYC engagement spots
- The best things to do on Christmas in NYC