What is New York’s best borough? Today: The case for Staten Island
In today’s round of the battle of the boroughs, we present five reasons Staten Island kicks ass
Tue Jul 1 2014
In the upcoming issue of Time Out, it's a battle of the boroughs—natives and longtime residents square off to explain why their home turf is superior to all others. This week we’re spotlighting one borough a day online. Read on to see whether our arguments for Staten Island dominance sway you, or whether they only bolster your other-borough pride.
1. Heralded musicians like David Johansen, Vernon Reid and Galt MacDermot live here.
2. San Rasa’s Sri Lankan cuisine is heaven on a plate.
3. NYC is, like, the least smoker-friendly city ever, but you can puff and drink a cheap beer on the Staten Island Ferry. You know you want to.
4. Staten Island is the cheapest place in NYC to hold a waterside wedding, and the Richmond County Courthouse is the easiest place to file for divorce.
5. Staten Island Yankees mascot Scooter the Holy Cow beats all other NYC mascots. Yes, even Mr. Met.
Get in touch
- Meet 11 New Yorkers who break the millennial stereotype
- The most anticipated new albums of 2016
- The best pho restaurants in NYC
- A real-life NYC dominatrix dishes on doing your dirty work (NSFW)
- The best jazz clubs in NYC
- Star Wars’ John Boyega talks the role of a lifetime and petting the Wookiee
- The 11 best places to get New Year's Day brunch
- Quentin Tarantino chats it up about his new talky Western The Hateful Eight
- The 21 most romantic NYC engagement spots
- The best things to do on Christmas in NYC