Cloud Nothings 'Here and Nowhere Else' album review
Dylan Baldi's scuzzy Ohioans get happy(ish) with their full-on new record
Wed Mar 26 2014
Time Out Ratings :<strong>Rating: </strong>4/5
Photograph: Pooneh Ghana
"I was feeling pretty good about everything so I just made stuff that made me happy." So said frontman Dylan Baldi of Here and Nowhere Else, the new LP from Ohio fuzz-poppers Cloud Nothings. On first listening to the album, though, one has to wonder what sort of tunes Baldi turns out on a bad day: Pharrell this ain’t.
After Cloud Nothings’ brooding, Slint-nodding 2011 breakthrough, Attack on Memory, Here and Nowhere Else brings things back to the band’s frayed, lo-fi essence—the sound of the time when Baldi was nothing but a box-bedroom solo artist with a truckload of pent-up problems, a cracked copy of GarageBand and a dream.
Like their debut album Turning On, Here and Nowhere Else is a litany of middle-American, outcast-teen neuroses set to a hardcore guitar churn, diuretic bass lines and Ritalin-addled drum fills. "Psychic Trauma" laments the resurgence of long-past anguish, while the scuzzy bass and winding guitar lines of "Pattern Walks" fuel a full-throttle, seven-minute musical mental breakdown.
But there are some definite glimpses of sunshine amid the teeny doom. Baldi is a master of the catchy angsthem, and the pop-punk-inflected hook of "No Thoughts"raises it above the merely maudlin. Even as he snarls "You’re born; you’re gone" over the outro it feels strangely life-affirming.
Listening to Here and Nowhere Else might make Baldi’s mates a bit worried for his state of mind – but having produced yet another infectious, rollicking slice of Midwestern alt rock, he certainly has plenty to smile about.
Watch Cloud Nothings perform 'I'm Not Part of Me'
Listen to Cloud Nothings on Spotify
- Top 10 dance clubs
- New Year's Eve concerts
- Concerts in Chicago in November
- The 9 best blues music clubs in Chicago
- The Second City's Holidazed and Confused Revue
- Concerts in Chicago in December
- Holiday and Christmas concerts
- Concerts in Chicago: Your month-by-month live music calendar
- Black Wednesday, Thanksgiving and Black Friday parties and concerts
- The Yeah Buddy Awesome Time Comedy Show
- The 20 best Thanksgiving songs
- The 30 most heart-pounding running songs
- The rebirth of Chicago house music
- The 20 best house tracks ever
- The best albums of 2014 so far
- The 45 sexiest album covers of all time
- The 41 greatest Chicago albums of all time
- The 50 best workout songs
- The 50 best drinking songs
- The 50 best gay songs
- The 50 best songs from ’80s movies
- The 50 best breakup songs
- The 50 best love songs ever made