St Cuthbert's has claim to being one of the oldest places of worship in or around the city. However, although its steeple dates to 1789, the church's current incarnation was built as recently as 1894. Its kirkyard is the resting place of some notable names: writer Thomas de Quincey, mathematician John Napier and the Reverend David Williamson, the church's covenanting minister celebrated in song as 'Dainty Davie'. When Williamson was buried here in 1706, no stone was erected by his widow, presumably because she would have had to list on it the names of her six predecessors. Indoors, there's a frieze behind the apse modelled on Leonardo's Last Supper.