A grand dame, lately rendered even grander
The Caledonian has been around since 1903, originally a railway hotel although the adjacent station was knocked down many years ago. It has been part of the Hilton group for some time, expensively refurbished and rebranded with its current, unwieldy name in 2012. All the same, there is genuine Edwardian heritage here, appealing and understated room design plus two dining options from celebrated restaurateurs the Galvin brothers. It's big but it's far from brash and it's handily at the west end of Princes Street.