Five things you didn't know about Dan Croll
Here’s some stuff you didn’t know about this British hotshot, to make you sound clever at this week’s CMJ showcase.
Tue Oct 15 2013
Photograph: Laura Lewis
1 He’s from Stoke-on-Trent, the birthplace of British pop star Robbie Williams and Slash. Yes, that Slash!
2 He’s probably going to get pretty famous: His management company also looks after Ellie Goulding, Rita Ora and Iggy Azalea.
3 He was set to play rugby professionally, until he suffered a shin-on-shin collision with another player. Ouch.
4 Croll’s other jobs include being a TV extra (at a bachelor party on the U.K. version of Shameless, since you ask) and a nightclub bouncer. He used to live above a seedy strip club, too. And there you were, thinking he looks so clean-cut.
5 He studied at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts and had a tête-à-tête with its founder Sir Paul McCartney, who apparently said “groovy” a lot. As it happens, Croll’s sound is a groovy one, mixing up African folk motifs with lush synth-pop. Check out “Compliment Your Soul” for a sweet taster.
You might also likeSee more in Live music
Write your own review
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes