Five things you didn't know about Conor Maynard
Listen up, Mayniacs: discover some surprising facts about the Brighton boy
Tue Jan 22 2013
Some call him the British Bieber, although Conor Maynard’s debut album ‘Contrast’ (a number-one hit last year) sounds more like the kind of sensual, classy pop last heard from Justin Timberlake. Brighton's very own pop star took time off from cracking America to tell us some lesser-known Maynard facts.
1. He loves Maynard’s wine gums… ‘I actually do. I tried to blag a free packet from a corner shop once. I got out my ID, showed him my name, and the owner kicked me out.’
2. …and Lemony Snicket. ‘I was a massive fan of ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’. I actually love those books. I read all thirteen books, twice.’
3. He means business. ‘I think on the first album it’s more fun than serious, but as things move on the ratio’s going to change. I feel like the music that I’m writing now is more mature.'
4. He likes ‘My Bloody Valentine’ – the Good Charlotte song, not the shoegaze band. ‘If Good Charlotte approached me and said, “Let’s work,” then I’d definitely consider it [we’d like to think he hasn’t ruled out a My Bloody Valentine collab either…].’
5. He’s lucky he was born male. ‘I was going to be called Paige if I was a girl.’