This imposing baroque church is the Milanese headquarters of the Jesuit order. It was designed by Pellegrino Tibaldi in 1569 as an exemplary Counter-Reformation church. Note its single nave, an invention that let the priest keep his eye on the whole congregation. The cupola, crypt and choir were added by Francesco Maria Ricchini between 1633 and 1652. The carved wooden choir stalls in the apse were lifted from Santa Maria della Scala, the church demolished to make way for the Teatro alla Scala.
San Fedele is a veritable hit parade of Milanese baroque and mannerist painting. In the first chapel on the right is Il Cerano's Vision of St Ignatius (1622); in a room leading to the sacristy beyond the second chapel on the right are a Transfiguration and Virgin and Child by Bernardino Campi (1565). The exuberant carvings on the wooden confessionals and the sacristy (designed by Ricchini and executed by Daniele Ferrari in 1569) help liven up the edifice's Counter-Reformation sobriety. The façade's stonework is full of deep-pink hues, thanks to a recent, and much needed, renovation.