This church was commissioned by Florentine banker Pigello Portinari and built between 1447 and 1475 to a design by Pietro Antonio and Guiniforte Solari. In 1862, frescoes were discovered under a layer of plaster. In the 16th and 17th centuries, even art was affected by the widespread plague paranoia: these frescoes were covered with lime-based plaster in order to disinfect them. The church's eight-stall choir is a reconstruction based on what was left of the one built in 1640 by Carlo Garavaglia: the original was used as firewood during World War II. The façade was put up in 1912 by Diego Brioschi, but the 17th-century entrance has been preserved.