Once an expanse of prati (fields), the area around this small church was used as a pagan, and subsequently Christian, necropolis. Benedictine monks occupied the adjacent monastery in the ninth century and remained there until 1520; it's uncertain whether the present church dates from the ninth or 11th century. French occupiers turned it into a storehouse and then barracks in 1798. Later it became a chemical factory, belching fumes that earned it the nickname Casa del Mago ('magician's house'). It was restored and reconsecrated in the 1880s.