It's the curious touches that make the Museo Poldi Pezzoli so memorable. The room after room of tasteful collections, collected by notable art enthusiasts Giuseppe and Rosa Poldi Pezzoli, and later expanded by their son Gian Giacomo, was opened to the public in 1881.
One room upstairs contains a selection of early gold timepieces, and an armoury downstairs exhibits over 100 coats of flamboyant armour worn by Europe's poseur princes. The paintings are widely admired, and include Pollaiuolo's Portrait of a Young Woman, Vincenzo Foppa's Portrait of Francesco Brivio and Botticelli's Virgin with Child. The collections of attractively displayed jewellery, tapestries, glasswork, porcelain, paintings and books can occupy further hours.