Castle on the Hudson; Tarrytown, NY
Take a jet-set escape (without the flight) to upstate New York to experience the luxury of Downton Abbey. Plus, take advantage of a TONY deal.
Tue May 8 2012
Castle on the Hudson, Tarrytown
RECOMMENDED: See all weekend getaway ideas
General Howard Carroll built the medieval-style structure, originally called Carrollcliffe, for his family of five. Completed in 1910, the manor was modeled after Castle Lismore in Ireland and opened as a luxury hotel in 1997. A nontraditional check-in process begins with a glass of raspberry-and-clove-infused champagne in the Tapestry Room; by the time you ascend the carved main staircase and peek at your swank digs, you’ll forget checkout even exists.
Visitors can choose from 24 guest rooms in a new extension or one of seven junior suites in the original building, all outfitted with four-poster beds and huge windows with gorgeous river views. The surrounding ten-acre property includes bocce and tennis courts, a heated pool and adjacent bar.
Make a reservation at Equus, the castle’s five-star restaurant, where executive chef Chiharu Takei gives a modern Japanese twist to French fare. Choose from a seasonal five- or seven-course dinner menu ($85–$120 per person, with wine pairings $145–$210) in the wildly elegant setting—you may want to take your cue from the Crawleys and dress for dinner. (914-631-1980, castleonthehudson.com). Rates start at $420 (includes breakfast); mention TONY when booking by phone to receive a complimentary upgrade Mon–Thu, Sun subject to availability.
See more in Things to Do
Events calendar for New York City
- Infograph: The NYC subway versus subways around the world
- NYC subway station secrets, hidden stops and abandoned places
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- Make your NYC subway commute easier with these tricks
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Romantic hotels in NYC: Six spots to put you in the mood for love
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Best budget hotels and hostels in New York City