Barclays Center: Three to see
Brooklyn’s Barclays Center celebrates its birthday with a run of great gigs.
Tue Sep 17 2013
Barclays Center, we tip our hats to you: Your gigs just get better and better. This week, the Brooklyn arena—celebrating its first anniversary—hosts shows from two of our favorite NYC acts and one bona fide megastar. Which will you go to?
Yes, this week you get the chance to sing “Tambo liteh sette mo-jah—hey, jambo jambo!” at the top of your lungs (while your buddy looks up karamu and liming on his smartphone). The Commodores singer with a voice like silk made of rose petals comes to town on a tour called—wait for it—All the Hits, All Night Long. Meaning that your every Richie sing-along wish will be granted. Wow.
Were you to ask how Vampire Weekend went from being a bunch of dewy college grads with an art project to a globally tantalizing concern in less time than it takes to raise a small child, we would reply, simply: tunes. At this big hometown show, you’ll hear from all three gorgeous, brainy Vamps albums, the latest of which is Modern Vampires of the City.
Karen O & Co. celebrate their tenth anniversary this week with a show in the band’s borough of origin—back in ye olden days when Williamsburg was but a village with just one coffee shoppe. Now toasting their fourth album, Mosquito, Yeah Yeah Yeahs still put on a crazy, exhilarating live show.
You might also like
Live music calendar for New York City
- The 100 best party songs ever made
- The 50 best love songs ever made
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- The 50 Christmas songs you really will love (we promise)
- The 50 best breakup songs
- The 50 best workout songs
- The 50 best road trip songs of all time
- New Year's Eve concerts and live music in New York
- Ultimate Pride playlist: The 50 best gay songs
- Winter Solstice Celebration