Dating from the mid 13th century, 'the Great Church' is the oldest congregational church in Stockholm and the site of past coronations and royal weddings. A huge brick church with a rectangular plan, it's been extended and rebuilt numerous times. Between 1736 and 1742, its exterior was renovated from medieval to baroque to match the neighbouring palace, and in 1743 the tower was raised to its current height of 66m (216ft). Inside, the style is primarily Gothic with baroque additions - such as the extravagant golden booths designed for the royal family by the palace architect Tessin the Younger. The main attraction is Bernt Notke's intricately carved wooden statue, St George and the Dragon, which is decorated with authentic elk antlers. The statue symbolises Sten Sture's victory over the Danes in a battle in 1471, and was given to the church by Sture himself in 1489. (A bronze copy of the statue can also be found in Köpmantorget, not far from the church.) Don't miss the famous Parhelion Painting, which shows an unusual light phenomenon - six sparkling halos - that appeared over Stockholm on 20 April 1535. It's one of the oldest depictions of the capital, though the painting is a 1630s copy of the earlier original. From July to mid August, theology students give guided tours (in Swedish and English) of the church's tower (2pm & 3pm, 40kr which includes entry fee to church), which involves climbing 200 steps on narrow wooden staircases for an amazing view of the black roofs of Gamla Stan.