As Södermalm's population grew, it was agreed in the mid 17th century to split Maria Magdalena parish and build a new church. Katarina Kyrka, completed in 1695, was designed by Jean de la Vallé in baroque style with a central plan. A huge fire in 1723 destroyed the church's cupola and half the buildings in the parish. A more recent fire in 1990 burned down all but the church's walls and side vaults. Architect Ove Hildemark reconstructed the church (based on photos and drawings) using 17th-century building techniques. The yellow church with flat white pillars now looks much as it did before, but with a distinctly modern interior. Many victims of the Stockholm Bloodbath of 1520 were buried in the church's large cemetery. Organ music is played at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays.