During his church-destroying spree after the Reformation in 1527, Gustav Vasa tore down the chapel that had stood on this site since the 1300s. His son, Johan III, methodically rebuilt most of the churches in the late 1500s. Construction on this yellowish-orange church with white corners began in 1580, but was not completed for about 40 years. It's Söder's oldest church and the first in Stockholm to be built with a central plan rather than a cross plan. Tessin the Elder designed the transept in the late 17th century and his son, the Younger, created the French-inspired stonework of the entrance portal in 1716. The church's rococo interior - with its depiction of Maria Magdalena on the golden pulpit and Carl Fredrik Adelcrantz's elaborate organ screen - was created after a fire in 1759. Several of Sweden's eminent poets are buried here, including beloved troubadour Evert Taube. Stop by for the organ music on Thursdays at 12.15pm.