Enter the opulent world of Count and Countess Walther and Wilhelmina von Hallwyl in one of Stockholm's most eccentric and engaging museums. This palatial residence was built as a winter home for the immensely rich couple in 1898. Designed by Isak Gustav Clason (architect of the Nordiska Museet), it was very modern for its time, with electricity, central heating, lifts, bathrooms and phones. The Countess was an avid collector of almost everything, from paintings and furniture to silverware and armoury that she picked up on her travels around Europe, the Middle East and Africa. She always planned that the house should become a museum and donated the building and its collections to the Swedish state in 1920. Her vision became a reality in 1938 when the Hallwyl Museum was first opened to the public, eight years after her death. The house has been preserved exactly as it was left, and situated among the objets d'art are personal peculiarities, including a chunk of the Count's beard and a slice of their wedding cake. For a taste of how the other half used to live, the tour takes you through an assortment of 40 incredibly lavish rooms and is led by extremely well-spoken guides dressed up as butlers and maids.