Works by sculptor Carl Milles (1875-1955) are displayed at his home and studio, which he donated to the state in 1936. His bronze statues stand alongside works by other artists on wide stone terraces, and its hilltop setting provides a dramatic backdrop of sky, land and water. The house is decorated with paintings, drawings and antiques purchased by Milles on his travels - he amassed the largest private collection of Greek and Roman statues in Sweden. The studio was not as tranquil as it appears today during three days in 1917, when Milles decided to destroy all his work and start again from scratch. After emigrating to the USA in 1931, he became a professor of art in Michigan, where he created more than 70 sculptures - the nudes often had to be fitted with fig leaves. An adjacent exhibition hall, which houses the gift shop, features contemporary and classic modern art.