This mansion was opened as a gallery in the 1920s by Marjorie and Duncan Phillips as a memorial to his father. The building was remodeled in the 1960s and underwent further renovation in the ’80s, when an extension increased its space by almost 20,000sq ft. In 2006, the museum unveiled its Sant Building, another expansion project that added airy galleries for modern art, an outdoor sculpture terrace and café, an art and technology laboratory and an auditorium. The museum’s signature painting, Renoir’s Luncheon of the Boating Party, enjoys pride of place in the permanent collection galleries. There, significant Van Gogh oils rub shoulders with Steiglitz prints and a solid selection of works by Picasso, Paul Klee, Bacon, Vuillard and Rothko—that is, if a traveling show hasn’t deposed them temporarily. Special exhibitions cover subjects as diverse as Italian contemporary photography and cross-cultural artistic dialogue as revealed in work by Americans Jackson Pollock and Alfonso Ossorio, and French painter Jean Dubuffet.
Art of all stripes at the Phillips Collection
|Venue name:||Phillips Collection||Contact:|
1600 21st Street, NW
|Cross street:||at Q Street|
|Opening hours:||10am–5pm Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat; 10am–8.30pm Thur; 11am–6pm Sun|
|Transport:||Dupont Circle Metro|
|Price:||Admission Special exhibitions & museum collection $12; $10 reductions; free under-18s. Museum collection only (when no special exhibition in progress) Sat, Sun $10; $8 reductions; free under-18s. Tue–Fri admission by donation|