The large church of San Andrés dates from the 16th century, but was badly damaged in the Civil War in 1936 and later rebuilt in a relatively simple style. Attached to it, though (but with separate entrances), are two of Madrid's most historic early church buildings. The Capilla del Obispo (Bishop's Chapel, 1520-35), with its entrance on Plaza de la Paja, is the best-preserved Gothic building in the city. It contains finely carved tombs and a 1550 altarpiece by Francisco Giralte. Further towards Plaza de los Carros is theCapilla de San Isidro, built in 1642-69 by Pedro de la Torre to house the remains of the saint, which were later transferred to the Iglesia-Catedral de San Isidro. During restoration work in 2005, remains of the original church of San Andrés and its cemetery were found and can now be seen through the window on the pavement.
San Andrés, Capilla del Obispo, Capilla de San Isidro
|Venue name:||San Andrés, Capilla del Obispo, Capilla de San Isidro||Contact:|
Plaza la Paja, 9
|Opening hours:||apilla del Obispo: hours of worship Mon-Sun 12.30pm-1.15pm and 6.30pm-8.30pm; guided visits Wed 10am-12.30pm and Thu 4pm-5.30pm (tickets from the ticket office at Museo de la Catedral de la Almudena in Plaza de la Almudena s/n, in front of Palacio Real); Real Iglesia de San Andrés Mon-Sat 9am-1pm and 6pm-8pm, Sun 10am-1pm|
|Transport:||La Latina (M: L5)|