We're getting an Umami Burger!
The California burger chain is opening a Wicker Park outpost later this year
Thu Mar 13 2014
Photograph: Courtesy Umami Burger
Big burger news: California-based Umami Burger is opening Umami Wicker Park later this year.
The new restaurant will be located at 1480 N Milwaukee Ave and will serve a selection of the regular Umami menu, plus a burger designed for Wicker Park. The 90-seat restaurant is the first of other planned outposts in the area.
We've had the insanely good flagship "Umami Burger," which piles on that mysterious fifth taste, as dissected in WIRED Magazine, and it's worth the hype. After checking into my Japantown hotel in San Francisco, I immediately headed due north, up and down the peak of Pacific Heights, to the Umami Burger in Cow Hollow to eat the California sensation. The burgers are cooked to one temperature, medium rare, so don't ask for medium (or, god forbid, well done), and served on plates—like serious restaurant food. Shake Shack, this isn't.
After starting in L.A., and expanding to Northern California, the chain is looking to conquer eastward, with locations in Las Vegas, New York and Chicago, and more spots being scouted in Philly.
You might also like
- Overrated/Underrated Chicago: food and drink
- Chicago's top 20 brunch restaurants
- Gone but not forgotten: restaurants
- 6 places in Chicago for a pizza slice
- Chicago-area breweries win 8 medals at Great American Beer Festival
- The best ice cream you can get in restaurants
- Four taco crawls
- Gone but not forgotten: bars and clubs
- Road trips for food-lovers: Louisville
- Best bars in Chicago