Best Chicago gyms for getting in shape and losing weight
After an exhaustive (and exhausting) inspection of the city's fitness emporiums, we confidently deem these spots to be among best places to get in shape.
When it comes to getting in shape, you have lots of options in Chicago. You can run on the bike path hugging the shoreline, or you can join a recreational sports team. But if you need more discipline to lose the pounds, a Chicago gym might be your best bet. Those with upmarket tastes can go with a luxury fitness emporium or, if you are looking to keep things cheap, there is no shortage of budget gyms in the city. Ready to commit to a new you? Your journey starts here.
Whether you're looking to lose weight or just target some problem areas, these new gym openings in Chicago can get you on the road to peak fitness.
David Barton Gym wins us over with its fancy hair products, steam and sauna.
Cult workouts that'll make a believer out of you.
Seven readers’ weight-loss stories
Which is worth the money, David Barton Gym or XSport Fitness?
Enough with the excuses. Here’s why you should hit one of the dozens of gyms in Chicago.
Warm up with hot classes at Chicago studios.
You don't have to book a room in order to visit these hotel gyms.
You might also like
- 1. Cozy up to a fireplace at these restaurants and bars.
- 9. Work up a sweat at the gym.
- 11. Drink hot booze.
- 16. Get down at one of Chicago's best dance clubs.
- 17. Check out Tomorrow Never Knows 2014.
- 18. Indulge in some salt therapy.
- 19. Get your nature fix at the Garfield Park Conservatory.
- 20. Attend Hannibal Buress's Comedy Central taping.
- 21. Explore Eataly, Mario Batali's Italian superstore.
- 22. See a movie at the Hollywood Palms. (It's a jungle in there!)
- 23. Up your winter hat game.
- 24. Commute by Divvy bike (yes, even in winter).
- 25. Watch films from our list of the 50 best documentaries.
- 26. Sing away the winter blues at karaoke.
- 27. Take a winter road trip.
- 28. Hop to a new Chicago brewery.
- 29. Eat at Dusek's Board and Beer in historic Thalia Hall.
- 30. Get hooked on hot yoga.
- 32. Treat yo'self at a winter spa.
- 33. Treat yo' skin, too.
- 34. Make a killer party playlist.
- 37. Visit a new Chicago boutique.
- 38. Discover the sport of curling.
- 39. Hang out in Chicago's most serene spaces.
- 42. Build a snack stadium for your next sports-viewing party.
- 43. Try all the flavors at Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. (There are tons.)
- 44. Spend the day at one of Chicago's best museums.
- 48. Stop by one of Chicago's best comedy shows.
- 49. Cheer on the Bulls or Blackhawks at United Center.
- 50. Try some of the Midwest's best gin.
- Where to buy a used bike
- Best men's stores in Chicago
- Best bookstores in Chicago
- 18 Chicago Blackhawks T-shirts
- Fall fashion style guide
- Gone but not forgotten: stores, and one arcade
- The weirdest Bears stuff we could find on etsy
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Fall fashion trends: Men's looks
- Chicago's 10 best shoe shops