Founded in 1897, the Royal Automobile Club is Britain's oldest motoring organisation. Its early years were spent campaigning for the rights of the private motorist and the introduction of the driving licence, and organising famous motor races including the London to Brighton Run. The club moved to Mewes and Davis designed premises in the Mall in 1911, with palatial French Beaux Arts-inspired interiors and what was described as 'the most beautiful swimming bath in England'. Today, the club operates as a private members' club. There is no general access to the building but the club takes part in Open House London, held in September, on a strict advance booking basis, with tours of the rotunda, library, great gallery, billiards room and bars, as well as that sumptuous pool room.
Royal Automobile Club
|Venue name:||Royal Automobile Club||Contact:|
89 Pall Mall
|Transport:||Tube: Piccadilly Circus/Green Park|