Thanks to the Thames lapping against its wall and the resulting busy tourist trade, this place is something of a local landmark. Built in 1837 and regally restored in 1968, it feels more historic than it is, with photographs of maritime scenes and portraits of braided admirals aiding the illusion; there are rooms named after Nelson, Hardy and Howe.
In fact, the place is huge: downstairs alone there are five spaces, in addition to the side terrace guarded by a statue of Horatio. The very end space looks quite contemporary, but everything else here is visitor-pleasing traditional.
Draught beers include British ales (Sharp’s Doom Bar, Adnams Bitter) and Belgian brews (Palm, Estaminet), with plenty more Beneluxuriant options in the fridge.
A bar menu offers snacks such as traditional Greenwich whitebait, fat chips and burgers, but the culinary highlight remains the Sunday roasts.