Set in 250 acres of grassland, this gothic mansion house has belonged to the same family since Robert Lytton purchased it in 1490. It was designed in the nineteenth century by novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton, with contributions from Edwin Lutyens, who married into the family. Inside the house, Edwardian, Victorian, Georgian and Jacobean rooms survive. The grounds include a sunken lawn with pollarded lime trees, a wildflower meadow, ponds, a yew maze and a pet cemetery for the family animals. Kids will enjoy the dino trail, which features dozens of towering fibreglass reptiles. There's also an adventure playground with a monorail suspension slide and miniature railway. The two on-site restaurants are located in striking fifteenth-century tithe barns. Access by car is via Junction 7 of the A1(M) motorway.
|Venue name:||Knebworth House|
|Transport:||Rail: Stevenage rail then two-mile taxi ride|