Built in 1826 for Ferdinand Acton, the son of Naples' prime minister Sir John Acton, this villa is a mishmash of styles. The Rothschild family bought and enlarged the villa in 1841; it passed to the Pignatellis in 1867, and to the Italian state in 1952. Its magnificent ground floor rooms include the ballroom, dining room, library and a series of 'coloured rooms'; the green room contains a priceless collection of 17th- to 19th-century porcelain and majolica pieces. Room 1 displays works by 19th-century sculptor Vincenzo Gemito; room 2 has the collection's finest piece, Francesco Guarino's intense St George (c1650); and there are outstanding 18th- and 19th-century landscapes in room 6. The villa also hosts occasional, often excellent temporary shows.