La Zecca


La Zecca review Rate it

The Mint, designed by Sansovino, was completed by 1547. It coined Venice's gold ducats - later referred to as zecchini, whence comes the English word 'sequins'. It is more impregnable in appearance than the neighbouring Biblioteca Marciana, though the façade had to accommodate large windows on the piano nobile (for relief from the heat) and open arches on the ground floor, where the procurators of St Mark's operated a number of cheese shops. It now houses most of the contents of the civic library.

Comment Tweet
Save to foursquare

La Zecca details

San Marco 7,
piazzetta San Marco

Area Venice

Transport Vaporetto San Marco Vallaresso or San Zaccaria

Telephone 041 520 8788

Open 8.10am-7pm Mon-Fri; 8.10am-1.30pm Sat.

Admission free.