By the time the church of San Giorgio was begun in 1539, the Greeks were well established in Venice and held a major stake in the city's scholarly printing presses. Designed by Sante Lombardo, the church's interior is fully Orthodox in layout, with its women's gallery, and high altar behind the iconostasis. A heady smell of incense lends the church an Eastern mystique, enhanced by dark-bearded priests in flowing robes. The campanile is decidely lopsided. Next to the church are the Scuola di San Nicolò (now the Museo dell'Istituto Ellenico) and the Collegio Flangini (now seat of the Istituto Ellenico di Studi Bizantini e post-Bizantini), both by Baldassare Longhena.