Awesome! Would love to hang at Joe's Pub tonight! Saw The Carolina Chocolate Drops a Duke a couple of years ago.Amazing how!
Boo Hanks and Dom Flemons: Live at TONY
Two garlanded bluesmen make a live appearance at TONY HQ.
Photograph: Jolie Ruben
There are so many reasons to love Boo Hanks and Dom Flemons: Eighty-three-year old Hanks is a bluesman from North Carolina whose delicious, real-deal playing is the kind that silences a room in seconds flat (asked what the blues is, he replied: “Hard times, disappointment, and mistreatment.” When asked if he could elaborate, he said, “No.”). And Flemons plays banjo (among other things) with Grammy-winning, grin-garnering string band the Carolina Chocolate Drops. The two have teamed up to make an album, Buffalo Junction, for the Music Maker Relief Foundation, which seeks to preserve the musical traditions of the South by looking after its musicians (novel idea, that), and tonight (Aug 16) they're playing a show at Joe's Pub. Take a peek at the songs the pair recorded in the TONY office today, and book your tickets.
RECOMMENDED: See all performances at Time Out offices
You might also like
You guys are amazing. can't believe at 83 years old Hanks can still jam like that. Wow he takes the cake. I saw Carolina Chocolate Drops at Bonnaroo in 2010 and ever since then i've been in love with their music. Keep on jamming away . and Hanks was spot on when he said, " that the blues were hard times, disappointment, and mistreatment." He couldn't have said it any better.
Live music calendar for New York City
- The 50 best love songs ever made
- The 100 best party songs ever made
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- The 50 best breakup songs
- The 20 best Thanksgiving songs
- The 50 best road trip songs of all time
- The 50 best workout songs
- Ultimate Pride playlist: The 50 best gay songs
- The 50 Christmas songs you really will love (we promise)
- The best NYC concerts and music festivals in November