See how the crème de la crème lived two hundred years ago
When John Lamont, the 18th century chief of Clan Lamont, bought this house in 1796 it cost him the extraordinary sum of £1,800. The frontages on the north side of Charlotte Square were conceived by the celebrated architect Robert Adam however, adding extra neoclassical impact to fellow architect James Craig's original plan for the New Town. As a result Lamont's house, on that north side, was probably worth the money. The property is now run by the National Trust for Scotland and is an excellent reconstruction of how wealthier Edinburgh residents lived their lives in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. There is period furniture, porcelain, silver, glass, art, chandeliers and more. Everything seems desperately polite though and the only room in the entire property where it looks like people got their hands dirty, or wet, is the kitchen. Fact fans will note that the building next door at number six is the official residence of Scotland's first minister.
|Venue name:||The Georgian House||Contact:|
7 Charlotte Square
|Do you own this business?|