Chicago Loop guide: Things to do in downtown Chicago
Discover downtown Chicago's best restaurants, bars, lunch spots, events, museums, tours and things to do with our Chicago Loop guide
Downtown Chicago—or, in local parlance, the Chicago Loop—is not just for business people and tourists. Everyone knows about the Chicago River, Grant Park, Willis Tower (we're still prone to calling it Sears Tower; sorry, Willis!), Lollapalooza and the Art Institute. But downtown Chicago offers many more things to do—museums, tours and attractions on the lesser beaten path. The West Loop has become the culinary destination of the Midwest, if not one of the best in the world. With DePaul University, Columbia College and the School of the Art Institute, there are plenty of events catering to students. You can catch some of the top jazz or blues concerts in Chicago at a club in the South Loop. Heck, there are even farmers' markets in the shadows of skycrapers. If it's happening in the Loop, we have it covered.
There are more options than you think.
Explore the Chicago Loop by boat, bike, Segway and more.
Get places on a cheap rental bike.
We know where you should eat.
Where to find the softest breads and fanciest pastries.
It's not all fine dining and Giordano's downtown.
Explore Buckingham Fountain and more.
Go beyond Boystown.
Jan’s Antiques, Morlen Sinoway and more.
Missing this would be criminal.
An all-outdoor bar and restaurant tour through Chicago's Restaurant Row.
Keep dry and warm in Chicago's underground walkway.
Get the lowdown on which beaches, rooftop bars and skyscrapers give you the best views.
Explore this South Loop market.
There's more to it than the Bean.
- Michigan Ave between Monroe and Randolph Sts
Spend a rainy day checking out the core of the Chicago Public Library System.
- 400 S State St
Take a stroll through the world's largest indoor aquarium.
- 1200 S Lake Shore Dr
You might also like
- Overrated/Underrated Chicago
- Chicago attractions: The 25 best sights and attractions in Chicago
- Overrated/Underrated Chicago: city life
- Best of 2013: Wild and crazy news stories in Chicago
- Things to do in Chicago today
- The most impressive and regrettable Chicago tattoos
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago
- The best things to do this weekend in Chicago
- Gone but not forgotten: Chicago businesses we miss
- 51 things you'll never hear a Chicagoan say