1
Add review

Museum of the Order of St John

Farringdon Free

The content on this page is provided by a Time Out partner.

Reopened after a £3.7 million refurbishment, the Museum of the Order of St John is three museums in one. The first shows the history of St John’s Gate: built in 1504 as the south entrance to the Priory of the Knights of St John, it’s also been a coffeehouse, owned by Hogarth’s family, and a tavern. In the eighteenth century it was a printing house for Gentleman’s Magazine. The second part of the museum concentrates on the Order of St John, founded in Jerusalem in 1099. Armoury and regalia are on display, as well as exhibits showing the Order’s devotion to nursing. The third and final part is an interactive display on the Order’s modern incarnation – the St John Ambulance. Make sure you see the 1785 version of ‘The Dictionary’ by one Samuel Johnson.

Venue name: Museum of the Order of St John
Contact:
Address: St Johns Gate, 26 St John's Lane
London
EC1M 4DA
Transport: Tube: Farringdon

Average User Rating

5 / 5

Rating Breakdown

  • 5 star:1
  • 4 star:0
  • 3 star:0
  • 2 star:0
  • 1 star:0
LiveReviews|1
1 person listening