I refer to the incident which happened on Thursday morning 19/06/14 in the Greenwich Park Pavilion Cafe
My left hand has been burned with the hot plate during breakfast time and the way this incident was handled by the managers was horrifying.
Here is a short description of it:
- received first aid immediately and apology from the person who caused it.
Manager no 1 (don't know her name until now):
- a basic thing, such as a refund of the breakfast, wasn't offered. I had to ask for it myself. This was done only partially at the beginning (for the actual meal which caused the burn). I had to come back and ask for a full refund of the breakfast purchased as the experience overall was unpleasant. The full refund was eventually issued with the words "but what do you want from me...". I answered that what I want is this situation to be handled "properly", like it should be in such cases. A simple "our apology for inconveniences" and "how is your hand" wasn't there. The whole experience was getting very frustrating.
- no simple thing, such as a complementary drink, was offered by the manager, in order to calm down an unsatisfied customer and show that you care. The lady who was involved in the incident has offered a drink at a later stage.
Manager no 2 arrived (once again don't know his name until now):
- he offered his sincere apology and asked how my hand was doing.
- he offered his help driving me to school to collect my child, etc. (which hasn't happened, by the way, but the wiliness to do so was appreciated).
- he checked whether I wanted to be taken into hospital.
Finally, I felt like they are concerned about the whole situation my frustration was going away
Manager no 3 arrived (Christian, who's name I managed to obtain after asking for it several times, and, after about 1 hour, being held in the cafe going through the details). The names of of other two are still a mystery.
- He does his investigations and comes up which a statement: "I am satisfied that there were no breach of Health and Safely Regulations here". And that was it, I have made the whole thing up as I have nothing else to do. When I asked whether he wants to take a statement from me, the answer was: "I have already taken statement from 5 members of my staff I don't need another one". This was shocking once again. My understanding was that he was a senior person dealing with situation.
At the end, he has taken a written statement from me after I insisted on it and expressed my frustration. Before I left he has also offered complementary barbecue and a bottle of wine on Friday jazz night together with the e-mail stating the details of the incident, but never delivered it. To be honest when we reached that stage of the process I wouldn't want to come back to the cafe regardless of the offer.
The outcome of the whole experience:
- didn't receive names of any managers I was dealing with, regardless of how many times I asked. The maximum I was given at the end of the conversation which lasted by the way over an hour between 9:50 -11:00 was Christian (manager no 3).
- didn't receive the details of the head office or complaint procedure - regardless of how many times I asked.
- didn't receive promised e-mail from Christian stating details of the incident or his offer for a jazz night.
- didn't receive a copy of the incident report or copy of the written statement taken by Christian.
- ended up with a burned hand. The burn wasn't very bad at the end due to the first ad was offered correctly and immediately, but the skin was extra sensitive for 2 days.The fact is that the hand was burned and regardless of the severity of it it has caused me an inconvenience and the whole experience was very unpleasant.
- being held up at the cafe for over an hour going through the details over and over again, when I mentioned several times that I have 7 month old at home to look after and another 4 years old at school which was holding an open day by the way. I offered to leave my contact details so someone can contact me, instead they preferred to hold me.
- didn't receive satisfactory customer experience, in fact the way the whole thing was handled (as per above) was horrifying.
Will i come back - NO
Will i recommend this cafe to anyone else - NO
Manager no 3 (Christian) mentioned that I was rude to members of staff (which I understood he got this info from the staff)
I was very frustrated due to the incident and the way it was handled (as per above) but in no circumstances rude.
"come on guy hot plates are the basic things you should look out for"
"this is ridicules the way its handled"
"please provide me with details of your manager/head-office as I want to raise a complaint"
"can you introduce yourself as until now I don't know whom I am dealing with"
were probably unpleasant for them to hear but not defined as being rude.
These place being a National Heritage in the middle of the Greenwich park is suppose to be an example for all other cafes in England. Its a shame but it's not.
The only things I can say is Tourists and Locals be AWARE. If something happens you will be "well looked after" by the management.