This 14th-century church stands at the top of a dramatic flight of steps (added in 1707 by Ferdinando Sanfelice) above the modern church of the same name. At the head of the staircase, the chapel of Santa Monica (closed to the public) has a marble Gothic portal. The church entrance is to the left of this portal; inside, magnificent sculptures abound. The monument and tomb of King Ladislas (1428) behind the main altar is 18m (63ft) high, and shows Renaissance touches in its mainly Gothic design.
The round chapel behind the altar has a complex, majolica-tiled floor, 15th-century frescoes portraying the lives of the hermits, and the tomb of Gianni Caracciolo (1433), the much-hated lover of Ladislas' sister and successor, Queen Joan II.