Swathes of historic buildings were demolished to make way for this royal park, designed by Luigi Vanvitelli. It was inaugurated in 1781 as the giardini reali (royal gardens) and originally only opened to the public once a year, on the feast of the Virgin Mary's nativity (8 Sept). The massive Toro Farnese - now in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale - stood here until 1825, when it was replaced by a large bowl found in Paestum. Now surrounded by four lions, the bowl is the centrepiece of the Fontana delle Paparelle. The villa was restored for the 1994 G8 conference. There's a magnificent bandstand, built in 1887, and the small-is-beautiful Stazione Zoologica.