As Singapore’s leading arts and entertainment magazine, Time Out Singapore provides a fresh perspective on the island’s culture and lifestyle. Authoritative listings, engaging features and critical, independent reviews make us a trusted source for young, active locals, who don't merely read the magazine, but use it.
Time Out is edited and written entirely by a passionate, in-the-know staff of local experts in their respective fields. Our editorial staff scours the city each month for the inside scoop on what our readers want to see and do. The result: the most up-to-date listings source in the city.
As a rapidly growing company, we are looking for talented leaders to join our team. Candidates should be experts with in-depth knowledge of their fields. No phone calls please. Time Out Singapore is published by Mongoose, with offices in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai and New York.
SPECIAL PROJECTS EDITOR
Responsible to: Editor, Time Out Singapore
Mongoose is looking for a brilliant Special Projects Editor to join our team to produce creative solutions for Time Out Singapore and our clients. You will be an excellent writer, well-organised and able to understand how to bridge the gap between commercial objectives and creative expectations. You will be expected to work collaboratively with the existing members of the Time Out Singapore editorial and sales teams, reporting to the Editor.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Produce creative solutions, advertorials and other custom content for clients.
- Attend client meetings with sales teams to better pitch editorial ideas.
- Manage projects and client expectations.
- Must be able to cope with regular deadlines and work well under pressure. Must also be an excellent communicator and accept critique – both positive and negative – in the right spirit.
- Work effectively within the print cycle.
- At least a degree or respected diploma in journalism, PR, English or equivalent.
- Two years of experience in a publication.
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign not necessary but a bonus.
- An ability to work independently, proposing ideas and taking an initiative to contribute in brainstorming sessions.
- Organisational skills and ability to work in a calm, collective manner under tight deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for print and magazines.
ACCOUNT MANAGER - ADVERTISING
General summary: Achieves maximum sales profitability, growth and account penetration within an assigned territory and/or market segment by effectively platforms of Time Out Singapore. Personally contacts and secures new business accounts/customers.
Core function: Developing, pitching and executing creative integrated advertising solutions and offerings to existing and prospective brand owners and clients. The advertising solutions could cut across the traditional print media to the digital platform.
Details of functions:
- Establishes, develops and maintains business relationships with current and prospective brand owners and clients in the assigned territory/market segment to generate new business for Time Out Singapore.
- Makes telephone calls and in-person visits and presentations to existing and prospective brand owners and clients.
- Researches sources for developing prospective brand owners and clients and for information to determine their potential.
- Develops clear and effective written proposals/quotations for current and prospective brand owners and clients.
- Expedites the resolution of brand owners and clients problems and complaints.
- Coordinates sales effort with marketing, sales management, accounting, logistics and technical service groups.
- Analyzes the territory/market’s potential and determines the value of existing and prospective brand owners and clients’ value to the organization.
- Plans and organizes personal sales strategy by maximizing the Return on Time Investment for the territory/segment.
- Supplies management with oral and written reports on brand owners and client needs, problems, interests, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services.
- Keeps abreast of product applications, technical services, market conditions, competitive activities, advertising and promotional trends through the reading of pertinent literature and consulting with marketing and technical service areas.
- Minimum two years of media sales experience with good track record
- Persuading clients to buy advertising space and build relationships with brand owners and clients
- Finding out who controls the advertising budget in target organizations and contacting them
- Good problem solver and a creative thinker with gravitas
- Strong presentation and communication skills, using statistics on readership and viewing figures
- Ability to work under pressure and meet targets
- Resourceful with a high level of professionalism and integrity
Time Out Singapore is looking for interns! Both our editorial and digital media internships offer the opportunity to be part of our passionate and experienced in-house team and get plenty of hands-on knowledge learning about all aspects of what it takes to put an award-winning magazine on the stands.
Interns will do a lot of information gathering around town, assisting our writers and editors to research stories and discover new and exciting events across the city. Those who suggest story ideas and prove they have the ability to execute them will be given ample opportunities to write and receive bylines in the magazine.
Preference is given to interns who can commit to a three-month, full-time internship (three full print cycles), which will allow for proper time to learn the ropes at all stages of the magazine and website production cycles and finish up with some time spent in-house under the guidance of our editorial team and working on pieces independently.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter that includes a brief explanation of why you're interested in Time Out and also indicate your availability and areas of interest (Art, Music, Food, DJs, Theatre, etc) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We thank all applicants; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.