Life can be a struggle no matter where you live, but it’s a lot more pleasant if you can learn to enjoy the little things. In Austin, any simple win can be a reason to celebrate. We don’t need to wait for SXSW or a Longhorn championship to get excited. Every day is special in the City of the Violet Crown—as long as you can savor your own victories, like the ones below.
1. Finding a parking space that’s free, shaded and/or closer than a day’s trek to your final destination.
2. Alternatively, remembering where you parked.
3. Getting the bartender’s attention at last call.
4. Snagging a booth at Magnolia Café on First Thursday.
5. A friend canceling plans on the opposite side of town.
6. Remembering your reusable bags when you head to H-E-B.
7. Driving behind someone who knows how to use their blinkers.
8. Reaching a restaurant consensus in under an hour.
9. Discovering something before the out-of-towners do.
10. Claiming an outlet for your laptop charger at Thunderbird Coffee.
11. Strolling down Congress without being stopped to by an overeager volunteer.
12. Resisting the urge to pet every dog on the Hike-and-Bike Trail.
13. Going to a party where no one pulls out a guitar.
14. Getting from Point A to Point B without having to take I-35 or MoPac.
15. Feeding the ducks at Zilker and not being attacked by a swan or goose.
16. Getting through a night at the Broken Spoke without stepping on anybody’s toes.
What other life victories do Austinites strive for? Let us know in the comments below!
Want more? Sign up here to stay in the know.