This major engineering work by Joris Prosper Van Verboom from the 18th century constitutes the headquarters of the Catalan government since 1932. Palau del Parlament was built under the orders of King Philip V to hold power over Barcelona after Catalonia had been defeated by Spanish troops on 11th September 1714. Currently, the remains of this pentagonal fortress are the arsenal, the governor’s palace (now a high school) and the chapel (now a militar parish church).
On 26th January 1936, due to the entry of Franco’s troops, the building was turned into barracks. The assembly hall was shut down and access was forbidden for 37 years. It wasn’t until April 1980 that the hall reopened its doors for the legislation of the renewed Catalan government, after restoration and readjustment of the building.