Thanks to a Chinese e-commerce site, you, too, can own a Jeff Koons Balloon Dog
Photograph: Alex Strada
Hey. Got a spare $58.4million hanging around, maybe between the cushions of your couch? Didn’t think so. But that amount, based on recent auction records, is what it would take to own a Jeff Koons balloon dog. But say you really, really wanted one, and had room in your apartment for one measuring up to 98 feet long. Well, it can be yours for $5000. Want something smaller? There's also one measuring 39 inches for just $500. It all comes courtesy of Chinese e-commerce site Alibaba, which offers balloon-dog knock-offs made of polished stainless steel, just like the original. (We know. The bigger one sounds like a bargain!) As of now, they haven’t been sued yet by Koons or his gallery, but supplies are limited with only ten units available to ship per month, according to the site. But even if $500 is too rich for your blood, H&M is offering a Jeff Koons balloon-dog handbag, for $49.95, and that one is Koons approved. Also, you'll find room for it in your house more easily.
- Check out this free two-day concert in Brooklyn featuring Hunters, Splashh and more
- The New York Dance and Performance Awards are held
- Death of Klinghoffer debrief: What went down at the Metropolitan Opera opening
- Williamsburg music venue Glasslands to close after New Year's Eve
- Depeche Mode: 101 screens tonight—you know it better than you think