Thanks to a Chinese e-commerce site, you, too, can own a Jeff Koons Balloon Dog
Photograph: Alex Strada
Hey. Got a spare $58.4million hanging around, maybe between the cushions of your couch? Didn’t think so. But that amount, based on recent auction records, is what it would take to own a Jeff Koons balloon dog. But say you really, really wanted one, and had room in your apartment for one measuring up to 98 feet long. Well, it can be yours for $5000. Want something smaller? There's also one measuring 39 inches for just $500. It all comes courtesy of Chinese e-commerce site Alibaba, which offers balloon-dog knock-offs made of polished stainless steel, just like the original. (We know. The bigger one sounds like a bargain!) As of now, they haven’t been sued yet by Koons or his gallery, but supplies are limited with only ten units available to ship per month, according to the site. But even if $500 is too rich for your blood, H&M is offering a Jeff Koons balloon-dog handbag, for $49.95, and that one is Koons approved. Also, you'll find room for it in your house more easily.
- Meet the Undateables: Carly and Hudson
- Word on the Street: 13 crazy things we overheard in NYC this week
- Science for free: Hear a Nobel laureate talk about the possibility of other universes
- Photographer takes on walk on the wild side in Gowanus
- 5 things to expect at the opening of Metropolitan Opera’s The Death of Klinghoffer tonight