Spa retreats and eco-tourism from New York
Tue May 8 2012
Ananda Ashram; Monroe, NY
RECOMMENDED: See all weekend getaway ideas
Day: Ananda Ashram; Monroe, NY (1hr from NYC by car)
Nestled in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, this yoga center and spiritual oasis helps stressed-out city dwellers find tranquility. Get an early start with a 7am hatha yoga class or, if you’re a late riser, sign up for the second session at 4pm. Two meditation hours (9am and 7pm), additional seminars (e.g., Sanskrit, yoga sutra) and special events ensure you’ll have plenty of options. You can also take advantage of the beautiful grounds with a hike to the nearby lake, a stroll through the surrounding meadows or a dip in the pool. (845-782-5575, anandaashram.org). Day rate $45 (includes vegetarian or vegan lunch and dinner).
Weekend: Retreat at TreeGap; Woodstock, NY (2hrs from NYC by car)
Innkeeper Megan Reynolds brings a plentiful, organic breakfast to your door at this green B&B, where solar panels provide 80 percent of the property’s energy. A majority of the ingredients she cooks with come from her own garden, chicken coop or local farms. For the most privacy, book the quaint carriage house, outfitted with midcentury-modern furniture. Alternatively, you can reserve the main house’s second-floor, Adirondack-style suite, where you can snuggle on a massive, cushioned window seat. Once you’re settled, unwind with a ceramics class at the nearby Byrdcliffe Arts Colony or a meditation class at Karma Triyana Dharmachakra Buddhist Monastery. (845-679-5345, treegapretreat.com). Rates start at $170.
Long weekend: Emerson Resort and Spa; Mount Tremper, NY (2hrs from NYC by car)
Western massages and facials pop up on the spa menu at this Indian-influenced Hudson Valley retreat, but the ayurvedic procedures highlight the venue’s holistic philosophy best. We like the detoxifying Bindi herbal body treatment, which features an exfoliation, aromatherapy-oil rubdown, hot towel wrap and Marma-point facial massage. Boost your inner Zen with a yoga, Pilates or Zumba class at the fitness center, too. (877-688-2828, emersonresort.com). Weekend rates start at $206 per night.
You might also like
See more in Things to Do
Events calendar for New York City
- Infograph: The NYC subway versus subways around the world
- NYC subway station secrets, hidden stops and abandoned places
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- Make your NYC subway commute easier with these tricks
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Romantic hotels in NYC: Six spots to put you in the mood for love
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Best New York ski resorts for skiing and snowboarding