Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
Escape the city at the drop of a sun hat with these weekend getaways, including easy day trips to classic summer destinations like the Hamptons and Fire Island.
Tue May 21 2013
Illustration: Tom Hislop
Don’t spend your precious days off waiting around in airport lounges; easy day trips and overnights are just a car, train or bus ride away. Whether you’re looking for adventurous outdoor activities, sunbathing, beaches off the beaten track, culinary destinations (lobster-shack road trip!) or culture, we’ve found plenty of weekend getaways to satisfy your wanderlust.
RECOMMENDED: Summer in New York guide
The stunning oceanside cliffs and verdant valleys of Ireland are legendary, and reason alone to make a visit. But sharing the spotlight these days are the cities, where thriving music, arts and culinary scenes are drawing participants and visitors from all over the globe. Numerous music and arts festivals are held throughout the year in Dublin, Galway and Belfast, and County Cork has become the country's culinary hub. Derry-Londonderry is 2013's City of Culture, with a year-long calendar of events proving the designation—including the prestigious Turner Prize, being held for the first time outside of Britain. And the entire country is hosting The Gathering 2013, with thousands of events celebrating Irish culture being held in all counties, making this an especially good year to make a pilgrimage. It will give a whole new meaning to going green.
Weekend getaways and day trips from NYC
Weekend getaways: City breaks
More weekend getaways
You might also like
Events calendar for New York City
- Infograph: The NYC subway versus subways around the world
- NYC subway station secrets, hidden stops and abandoned places
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- Make your NYC subway commute easier with these tricks
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Romantic hotels in NYC: Six spots to put you in the mood for love
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Best New York ski resorts for skiing and snowboarding