The Old Synagogue (or Altschul), older still than the Old-New Synagogue, stood on this site as an island in Christian territory, to which Jews could cross from the main ghetto only at certain times. It became a Reform synagogue in 1837, three decades before the prospering congregation rebuilt it in the then-fashionable Moorish style.
After painstaking reconstruction, the long-decrepit building finally reopened in 1998, its lovely domed interior glowing with hypnotic floral designs that are traced in green, red and faux gold leaf and lit by stained-glass windows. The building houses varied and inspired exhibitions on Jewish history and, in its upper-floor prayer hall, an exhibition of synagogue silver. It occasionally hosts concerts; tickets are available in the lobby.
This museum is part of the Židovské Muzeum (Jewish Museum).