The adjacent church of San Giorgio dei Greci was a focal point for the Greek community, which was swollen by refugees after the Turkish capture of Constantinople in 1453. There have been a Greek church, college and school at this location since the end of the 15th century. The oldest piece in the museum's collection is the 14th-century altar cross behind the ticket desk. The icons on display mainly follow the dictates of the Cretan school, with no descent into naturalism, though some of the 17th- and 18th-century pieces make jarring and often kitsch compromises with Western art. The best pieces are those that are resolute in their hieratic (traditional-style Greek) flatness, such as Christ in Glory among the Apostles and the Great Deesis from the first half of the 14th century. St George is a popular subject: there is one splendid painting of him dating from the late 15th century. Also on display are priestly robes and other Greek-rite paraphernalia.