Tiergarten's biggest monument was built in 1871-73 to commemorate Prussian campaigns against Denmark (1864), Austria (1866) and France (1870-71). Originally planted in front of the Reichstag, the Victory Column was then moved by Hitler to form a centrepiece for the East-West axis connecting western Berlin with the palaces and ministries of Mitte. On top of the column is a gilded Goddess of Victory by Friedrich Drake; captured French cannons and cannonballs, sawn in half and gilded, decorate the column itself. It's 285 steps to the viewing platform.
Strasse des 17. Juni
|Opening hours:||Open Summer 9.30am-6.30pm Mon-Fri; 9.30am-7pm, Sat, Sun. Winter 9.30am-5pm Mon-Fri; 9.30am-5.30pm Sat, Sun|
|Transport:||S5, S7, S9, S75 Bellevue/bus 100|
|Price:||Admission €2.50; €1.50 reductions|