Surgeons' Hall is home to the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, an organisation founded more than 500 years ago. Within the complex of buildings here you find collections of surgical pathology material, instruments, displays on radiology, a dental collection and more. In truth though, it's the gruesome pickled bits of people in jars that the public comes to see. Currently closed for redevelopment, the venue is scheduled to reopen in summer 2015.
Surgeons’ Hall Museums reopened in 2015 after a major £4.4 million Heritage Lottery Funded redevelopment project. As one of the oldest Museums in Scotland, the collections grew from 1699 after 'natural and artificial curiosities' were publically sought. In the 1800s, the Museums expanded to include the remarkable collections of Sir Charles Bell and John Barclay, with the Playfair Building opening in 1832 to house these. Whilst the Museums were initially established as a medical teaching resource, all are now welcome to visit. The Museums are currently home to an extensive collection of pathology, anatomy and medical ephemera.
|Venue name:||Surgeons' Hall Museums||Contact:|